Friday April 29th

Thursday April 28th

Wednesday April 27th

0 Kicks

What's Wrong With Turkey?

Software internationalization is difficult under the best of circumstances, but it always amazed me how often one particular country came up in discussions of internationalization problems: Turkey. Jeff's comment should had been in the article but it wasn't It's convenient because: 1) Turkey is similar enough to other Latin alphabets that it's not a giant engineering nightmare to get it to work (see: Arabic or Hebrew). 2) The Turkish-I problem ( ) causes failures in naive string comparisons, whereas other Latin alphabets don't. 3) The Turkey Test gets you 90% of the way to the goal of internationalizing most apps.* We know French and Spanish are going to work. Why not test with the most difficult (but realistically difficult) locale first? * The other 10% is excruciatingly difficult -- again, think of Arabic (bi-directional, shaped letters) or Hebrew (right-to-left).


Commenting on Stories is limited for now and will open up to those recommended by the community. Learn how
Loading DotNetKicks...
brought to you by the Kicks Network