Google Cannot Solve your Coding Problems

added by Bognit
9/27/2010 7:45:52 AM

12 Kicks, 652 Views

I imagine 80/90% of programmers, myself included, are guilty of this everday form of insanity.

threenine39
9/27/2010 7:22:51 AM
This is so true. TRhe amount of times I have picked up code from other developers to review and I find some real "hack" to fix a problem. I usually find out that the sample code was "googled". Although the code fixed an issue, it was not neccesarily the right solution, it is just a patch to an issue that manifested itself by an incorrect approach to an earlier situation.
Like you taking time to analyse the problem, and sketching out the solution usually results in better code.

margebrown72
10/1/2010 4:16:24 AM
Very true, we have become a generation of copy and paste coders. We need to go back to our roots with some truly organic coding.

sdorman
10/2/2010 10:30:54 AM
The concept being described here is what people typically call "code monkeys". The idea of being able to copy/paste code without modification or understanding and it will "just work" is very flawed, but unfortunately becoming more and more common.

Bognit
10/3/2010 7:24:44 AM
The real scary part is that Microsoft is now creating dumbed-down Web development tools to further promote this particular form of insanity...

sdorman
10/3/2010 8:09:44 AM
I take it you're referring to LightSwitch? If so, keep in mind that LightSwitch is actually a Visual Studio product that allows an easier, more visual rapid development process. In a way, it forces you into using better development practices because you actually end up writing less code. When the application "outgrows" LightSwitch, you can "upgrade" it to a full Visual Studio project without problems and have a good starting point.

Bognit
10/4/2010 9:01:55 AM
I agree with you to a point, but "rapid development" is what got us to Web Forms. Don't get me wrong - I have been using Web Forms for 7 years now and it has helped me get the job done, consistently. However, since I started looking at MVC a little closer, I can't help feeling a little conflicted because I find myself going back learning the basics of HTTP that I should be more familiar with at this stage. I think a few months in Notepad at the outset might have served me better! ;-)