SpecsFor.com Launched, SpecsFor 2.2 Released!

added by Matt_TCF
12/12/2011 12:25:35 AM

8 Kicks, 193 Views

I’m pleased to announce that SpecsFor.com is now live. I’ve also shipped a new version of SpecsFor that simplifies the painful task of creating multiple mocks of the same type for injection into IEnumerable parameters.

dpeterson
12/12/2011 9:42:42 AM
I hadn't heard of your SpecsFor project before, it looks very interesting. As someone who has dabbled with other BDD frameworks like SpecFlow, how does yours stack up? What are its strengths/weaknesses? Do you plan on supporting Gherkin?

bradygaster
12/19/2011 9:32:09 PM
I've used Matt's product in a few different situations. Ever since I saw him demo the product (he gives an AMAZING talk on TDD/BDD you shouldn't miss if you get a chance) I've been a fan. If you use BDD you've got to check this out as an option. It really is an awesome tool.

Matt_TCF
12/19/2011 10:35:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Brady. :)

@dpeterson, the biggest thing that sets SpecsFor apart from other frameworks is its intent. It's designed specifically to address common pain points that come up while practicing BDD/TDD in .NET, enabling developers to focus on the parts of their tests that matter. It takes care of as many of the common repetitive concerns as possible while still remaining flexible enough to accommodate most common testing styles and needs.

I have considered Gherkin support similar to SpecFlow, but it's pretty low on my priority list at the moment.

bradygaster
12/19/2011 10:37:37 PM
I don't think you need to add Gherkin, bro. I think the way it is, your product uses something different, structurally, and there are people out there who dislike Gherkin or who don't find value in that level of abstraction. Stay the course, it's a good one you're on.

javery
12/20/2011 8:34:52 AM
This looks promising - but I can't look at C# testing code like this without wondering why you wouldn't just use Ruby and IronRuby to test your C# if you want a very clean and easy to use testing framework. We use Ruby for tests whenever we can at adzerk.

dpeterson
12/20/2011 8:50:54 AM
Which testing library do you use under IronRuby?

RobertTheGrey
1/6/2012 11:12:02 AM
This looks neat! As a long time user of SpecFlow, I can't say I relish the slight change of mindset, but maybe that's just me being lazy. I like the look of it, and hopefully will get a chance to try it out on a project or hobby some time soon...